Updated 2013 here
0. If you change anything (add a user, etc.), make sure to do:
sudo make -C /var/yp1. Add server to /etc/hosts. This means that you can still find the server if there is a DNS failure.
2. Install the software you need
sudo apt-get install portmap nis autofs nfs-common
You will be asked for the name of your NIS domain. Enter the name of your NIS domain. If you entered wrongly or want to change the defaultdomain of NIS change it in the file /etc/defaultdomain
For example, robotics is the name of my NIS server. Remember this parameter is case sensitive. It is probably a good idea to then add a portmap line to /etc/hosts.allow for security reasons:
portmap : <NIS server IP address>
Where "NIS server IP address" is the IP address of the NIS server.
3. Set up name services to use NIS:
Edit /etc/passwd to add a line at the end saying:
Edit /etc/group to add a line at the end saying:
Edit /etc/shadow to add a line at the end saying:
This sets up those services to include NIS entries if a match isn't found in the file. You could change other services to use NIS by using the NIS service in /etc/nsswitch.conf, but these are the important ones.
4. Edit /etc/yp.conf and add the line:
ypserver 126.96.36.199 ypserver 9188.8.131.52
Where 184.108.40.206 and 9220.127.116.11 are the NIS servers.
5. Restart NIS:
Note: sshd will need to be restarted to use the new authentication system. Just an FYI.
Note: A frequently asked question is how to give NIS users audio, DRI, video privileges. Simply add the user's group to video in file /etc/group
6. If you are using autofs with NIS you need this file nsswitch.conf in ubuntu: # /etc/nsswitch.conf # # An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be # sorted with the most-used services at the beginning. # # The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an # entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned # up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason # (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the # next entry. # # Legal entries are: # # compat Use compatibility setup # nisplus Use NIS+ (NIS version 3) # nis Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP # dns Use DNS (Domain Name Service) # files Use the local files # [NOTFOUND=return] Stop searching if not found so far # # For more information, please read the nsswitch.conf.5 manual page. # # passwd: files nis # shadow: files nis # group: files nis passwd: compat group: compat hosts: files dns networks: files dns services: files nis protocols: files rpc: files ethers: files netmasks: files netgroup: files nis publickey: files bootparams: files automount: files nis aliases: files nis shadow: compat https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNISHowTo http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-81770.html If you get an error likestartkde: kpersonalizer not found! Please install to properly configure your user. This means problem with normal user accessing video. Add the user to group "video" (/etc/group).